Medicare will mail new Medicare cards between April 2018 and April 2019. Your new card will have a new Medicare Number that’s unique to you, instead of your Social Security Number. This will help to protect your identity.
Things to know about your new Medicare card
- You don’t need to take any action to get your new Medicare card.
- The new card won’t change your Medicare coverage or benefits.
- Medicare will never ask you to give us personal or private information to get your new Medicare number and card. Learn more about the limited situations in which Medicare can call you.
- There’s no charge for your new card.
Watch out for scams
Scam artists may try to get your current Medicare number and other personal information by contacting you about your new Medicare card. They often claim to be from Medicare and use various scams to get your Medicare Number including:
- Asking you to confirm your Medicare or Social Security Number so they can send you a new card.
- Telling you there’s a charge for your new card and they need to verify your personal information.
- Threatening to cancel your health benefits if you don’t share your Medicare Number or other personal information.
For more information, please click here.